Packed with protein, eggs are a delightfully versatile food. And most importantly, they taste great with many different kinds of herbs! This is a simple, beautiful recipe to brighten up a table and satisfy the tastebuds. The sweet and spicy beet brine imparts a gorgeous shade of magenta while the creamy curried yolk filling brings a pop of gold to the plate. Show up to the potluck with these beauties and have the best tasting, prettiest plate on the table!
Pickled Curry Deviled Eggs
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup organic white vinegar
- 3 small organic beets, washed and sliced
- 1 organic shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp organic sugar
- 1 tsp organic black peppercorns
- ½ tsp organic fenugreek seed
- ½ tsp organic brown mustard seed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 6 hard boiled local organic eggs, peeled
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp organic mayonnaise
- 2 tsp organic Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp organic curry powder 1 tsp fresh organic lemon juice
- ¼ tsp organic cayenne powder
- Fresh cilantro leaves or chives for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all of the pickling ingredients (except for the eggs) in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Allow the brine to cool slightly and then add the peeled hard boiled eggs. Use the beet slices to submerge the eggs in the brine.
- Let the eggs marinate for at least two hours in the fridge or overnight.
- Remove the eggs from the brine and slice them in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks and in a separate bowl mash them together with mayo, Dijon mustard, curry powder, and a touch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the yolk filling into the eggs and then garnish with fresh cilantro and a dusting of curry powder.