I love this season of celebration. This time of year I'm often dreaming of chocolate truffles, forests covered in snow, and catching a glimpse of the Northern Lights. Making special foods, festive treats, and gifts while singing along with my favorite songs brings a glow of happy cheer to my heart—but my favorite part of the holidays is seeing the joy and excitement in other people as they unwrap the gifts I have made for them! This year I decided to create a rich and moisturizing balm to soften the appearance of rough dry skin, using the scents of sacred resins and trees that are often associated with this time of year.
LET'S MAKE OUR HOLIDAY HAND BALM!
Frankincense and Myrrh Hand Balm Recipe
This recipe makes roughly 9 oz. of salve mixture.
- 1/2 cup organic olive oil
- 1/4 cup organic grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup organic avocado oil
- 3 level Tbsp beeswax pastilles
- 1 level Tbsp organic unrefined shea butter
- 25 drops organic frankincense essential oil
- 20 drops myrrh essential oil
- 20-25 drops organic black spruce essential oil
- 15 drops organic lavender essential oil
- 5 drops organic atlas cedar essential oil
- In a double boiler over low to medium heat, combine oils, beeswax, and shea butter. Heat gently until fully melted and stir often.
- While oils and butters are melting, drop essential oils into a small 1/8th ounce screw cap bottle, place cap on bottle, and gently roll bottle between palms to blend.
- Once oils, beeswax, and shea butter are fully melted, remove from heat and transfer mixture into a heat-safe measuring cup with a pour spout.
- Add blended essential oils and stir to evenly distribute in the balm.
- Pour balm into containers of choice, allowing to cool for 1-2 minutes, and then carefully place in freezer for 5-7 minutes. This quick cooling process helps to prevent the shea butter in the mixture from becoming grainy as it cools. Don’t forget the balms in the freezer!
- After 5-7 minutes in the freezer, place balms on countertop covered with a paper towel to finish cooling completely. Once completely cooled, cap balms and add your decorative finishes (such as labels, ribbon, etc.).
Looking for more natural body care?