My partner and I find great joy in sharpening our novice mixology skills in our kitchen overlooking the Douglas fir-covered hills of Eugene, Oregon. Having daily access to thousands of herbal delights at Mountain Rose Herbs has really upped our homemade cocktail game!
We developed one herbal cocktail and one mocktail recipe so that everyone can partake in these summery refreshments. I prefer complex, dry flavors that are very spirit-forward and libations that are as beautiful to look at as they are to taste. If you're like me, then I hope you'll enjoy these two recipes as much as my hubby and I did. Cheers!
Makes 1 serving.
- 1 organic lime wedge
- Kiawe smoked salt, for rim
- 1 oz. homemade herb-infused simple syrup (pu'uer works great to add a nice smoky flavor to the cocktail)
- 2 oz. tequila, silver
- 1/2 - 1 organic lime, juiced (amount depends on how tart you like your margaritas)
- 1/2 tsp. organic elderberry syrup
- Swirl lime wedge around outside of margarita glass.
- Dip the rim of the glass in a small plate covered in Kiawe smoked salt.
- Garnish margarita glass with lime wedge.
- Place all remaining ingredients in a cocktail shaker and fill shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds or until strainer gets cold and a bit icy on the outside.
- Strain into margarita glass.
Makes 1 serving.
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. organic green tea of choice
- 1 tsp. organic dried ginger root
- 1 forest grown ginseng leaf, crumbled (optional)
- Crushed ice
- 1/2 oz. simple syrup made with organic oregano leaf
- 2 oz. organic lemonade
- 1 oz. ginger beer
- 1 organic lemon wedge
- Bring water to boil.
- Put next three ingredients into a disposable tea filter.
- Once water has come to a boil, remove from heat and steep herb-filled tea filter in water for 6-8 minutes, or until desired strength. The flavor should be much more concentrated than for a typical cup of sipping tea to ensure the herbal goodness shines through.
- If time allows, let the tea cool to room temperature.
- Fill highball glass with crushed ice.
- Add 3 oz. of cooled tea, lemonade, and simple syrup to glass. Stir.
- Top with ginger beer and garnish with a lemon wedge.
Ready to mix-up more herbal drinks?
You may also be interested in: