At home, my kitchen is never lacking cardamom. I like this spice so much that I’ve got a separate hand-held spice grinder filled with just hulled cardamom (hint, if you use a clear glass vase grinder, you won’t get your cardamom confused with your black pepper). This way, I can have freshly ground cardamom goodness whenever I want! One of my favorite ways to enjoy it is in sweets, like shortbread or teacake. I adapted this recipe for my gluten-free and dairy-free friends, so we could all enjoy it together.
Makes about 4 dozen small, bite-size cookies.
- 2 1/4 cup organic gluten-free flour (I used a combination of oat flour and coconut flour)
- 1/2 cup organic olive oil (or vegan butter)
- 1/2 cup organic almond oil (or vegan butter)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp organic ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp organic cinnamon powder
- pinch of organic ground ginger
- pinch of sea salt
- Mix wet ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.
- After the batter is well mixed, let it sit for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shape the batter into 1-inch balls and flatten so they are about ¼-inch thick.
- Place cookies on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes (or until lightly brown) at 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Let cool.
How To Serve:
Before enjoying, sprinkle a little extra ground cardamom and powdered sugar. Or, drizzle with a little icing (mix a tablespoon of water with enough powdered sugar and cardamom powder to form a glaze). You could even add some granulated sugar and a few sprinkles of Kiawe Smoked Sea Salt for a nice sweet ‘n salty crunch. Enjoy!
Looking for more Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Deliciousness? Try these: