My first taste of green tea ice cream was after a feast at a Japanese restaurant. Although I was stuffed to the brim, the waiter convinced me to be adventurous and try a scoop. I thought there was no room left in my stomach, but then I tasted a bite, devoured that scoop, and thought about ordering another! The grassy, floral, and fruity notes paired perfectly with a creamy sweetness and a touch of vanilla. I skipped the second scoop and spent the drive home thinking about how to make my own.
Simple to make and deliciously unique, organic matcha-infused ice cream is the perfect way to end an Asian-inspired dinner party. It’s also delicious paired with a fudgy chocolate cake. If serving alone, a scoop or two looks wonderful dressed up with edible flowers, fresh fruit, or any of your favorite toppings to create a dessert that pops.
Creamy Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups organic half-and-half
- 1 cup organic heavy cream
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- 1 organic vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 3 Tbsp. organic matcha tea
- Combine half-and-half, cream, sugar, scraped vanilla bean pulp, and vanilla bean pod in a large saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally until mixture just barely begins to simmer. Do not boil.
- Remove mixture from heat immediately.
- Set aside to steep for 30 minutes.
- Remove vanilla bean pod.
- Whisk in matcha tea until well incorporated. Using an immersion blender on low is a quick way to accomplish this.
- Transfer mixture into a lidded container.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker, churn following manufacturer instructions.
- Once you’ve reached desired consistency, transfer mixture back into lidded container.
- Harden in the freezer for at least one hour before serving.
While matcha is the perfect way to impart a rich green tea flavor and a lovely green tint to ice cream, it does contain caffeine. This might not make it the best evening dessert option for someone who is sensitive to caffeine, but if you're looking to keep the party going, this recipe is a great way to counter after-meal drowsiness, so serve strategically and enjoy!
Looking for more Matcha Magic?
You may also be interested in: