I love the scents of the holiday season. Nothing compares to the fresh, crisp scent of peppermint, or the warm, inviting, and spicy scents of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves—nothing, that is, except the sweet scent of oranges mingling with spices and chocolate. That distinctive fragrance always evokes childhood memories of my mom and me handcrafting those lovely orange pomander ornaments, made by sticking cloves directly into an unpeeled orange in creative designs. It’s a beloved holiday tradition that I have carried over to my own family!Sweet Orange Essential Oil is Kid-safe
As a natural lifestyle blogger, one of the topics that I am most passionate about is teaching others how to safely use essential oils with their children. I even wrote a popular book about it, The Complete Book of Essential Oils for Mama and Baby. While many of my favorite essential oils are reminiscent of the holiday season (e.g. peppermint, clove, and cinnamon), they should be used with caution around young children. Sweet orange essential oil is generally considered child-safe and makes for the perfect option when scenting homemade gifts for the kiddos (remember, though, that you should avoid using undiluted essential oils on the skin, so make sure that your recipe contains an appropriate proportion of carrier oil/butter/wax, like those below). No one can turn down the happy, calming, and sweet scent of oranges!
My Favorite Orange-scented DIY Gift Ideas
This time of year, I’m always looking for fun new things to make as gifts for others. My friends and family tell me they eagerly await opening up something organic and handmade by me. I must admit, I also find myself eagerly awaiting the day that I can hand out my handmade gifts! Here are some of my favorite organic body care recipes using comforting holiday aromas such as orange, cloves, and cocoa butter (and they’re all kid-friendly!).
Chocolate Covered Oranges Lip Balm Recipe
Makes about 15 tubes of balm.
- 3 Tbsp. organic unrefined coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. organic Non-GMO Project Verified cocoa butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. beeswax pastilles
- 1 tsp. organic roasted cacao powder
- 30 drops organic sweet orange essential oil
- In a double boiler, gently melt the coconut oil, cocoa butter, and beeswax.
- Mix in cacao powder, then remove from heat.
- Once cooled, stir in the essential oil.
- Pour into lip balm tubes or tins.
- Allow to cool fully before putting caps or lids onto the containers.
- Label and enjoy!
Oranges & Clove Sugar Scrub
Makes enough scrub to fill one 7 or 8 oz. glass jar.
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- Zest of 1 organic orange
- 1 tsp. organic clove powder
- 1/4 cup organic unrefined coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. organic unscented Castille soap
- 20 drops organic sweet orange essential oil
- In a medium bowl combine sugar, orange zest, and clove powder. Set aside.
- Over low heat, gently melt the coconut oil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Castille soap and essential oil.
- Pour coconut oil mixture over the sugar mixture and stir until completely combined.
- Store in a glass jar or recycled container in a cool dark location.
How to Use Sugar Scrub
- Using clean, dry hands or a clean spoon, scoop out enough sugar scrub to massage the intended area, then gently exfoliate. Rinse with warm water and repeat everywhere that needs exfoliation.
- Avoid getting water in the jar to prevent mold and bacteria from growing in the product.
- If using in a bathtub, remember oil-based scrubs can make the tub slippery!
Looking for More Fun DIY Stocking Stuffers?
You may also enjoy: