Here in the Coast Range and Willamette Valley of western Oregon, we know our foggy, rainy winters are responsible for the stunningly gorgeous, green landscapes we love so much. But, wow, it’s been cold and gray this winter! As a born-and-raised Oregonian, I’m one of the weirdos who loves rain, who adds extra blankets to my bed so I can sleep with the windows open to hear and smell the winter weather. I love sloshing around in rubber boots, and taking drizzly forest walks in the fog, and struggling against the cold rain to plant a super-early garden. There is a name for people like me: pluviophile (someone who finds joy and peace of mind on rainy days). However, for most people, the combination of dark, wet, and cold is incredibly challenging. It grieves me to watch my sun-loving, light-deprived friends and family sink into annual winter doldrums, which is why I love to make this mood-boosting herbal extract with its blend of warming, uplifting, relaxing herbs to help alleviate those seasonal blues and give a little relief to my favorite people.
This extract is a lovely support recipe for occasional bouts of the doldrums, but it works better if you combine it with day-to-day lifestyle actions that get you some natural vitamin D. Bundle up and take a walk, or set yourself up in front of a big window with a good story or a lap-project and let your body soak in some full spectrum lighting; even half an hour can make a world of difference!
Winter Mood Booster Extract
- 1 part organic St. John’s wort extract
- 1/2 part organic lemon balm extract
- 1/2 part organic hawthorn extract
- 1/2 part organic kava kava extract
- 1/4 part organic ginger extract
- Mix all tinctures together in a dropper bottle and shake well.
- Take about 30 drops 1-2 times a day for up to 1 week or less, as needed.
- It is always a good idea to take a small amount first, and then sit quietly and feel how the herbs affect your body before taking a larger amount.
Want to know more about mood-boosting herbs?
You may also enjoy: