Taking some cues from aromatherapy for this silky lip balm recipe, we decided to try a combination of lavender and clary sage. Both of these sweet and floral essential oils are associated with calming properties that also uplifts. It turned out to be a wonderful blend!
I love to keep this balm on my nightstand and use it just before bed, since lavender is a classic calming herb and clary sage is known as a dream enhancing herb. The scent helps calm energy lingering from the day as I drift off to sleep.
Of course, you can always experiment with your favorite essential oils to create a custom fragrance, or leave them out completely and allow the cocoa butter and coconut oil scents to shine through. This is a great basic formula that is easily transformable!
- 1 Tbsp organic unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp organic Cocoa Butter or 4 organic Cocoa Butter Wafers
- 2 Tbsp organic Sunflower Oil
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 teaspoon grated Beeswax or Beeswax Pastilles
- 10 drops organic Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 drops organic Clary Sage Essential Oil
- a few drops of Vitamin E Oil (optional, but recommended)
- Place chopped beeswax and oils in a small pot or glass measuring cup and gently heat in the top of a double boiler until the beeswax has melted.
- Once melted, remove from the stove top and stir in the essential oils and Vitamin E oil.
- Immediately pour the mixture into lip balm containers.
- Allow your balm to cool completely before capping the containers.
Makes enough to fill 10 lip balm tubes or three 1/2 oz tins. Enjoy!
I will leave you with this beauty as inspiration....love, love, love clary sage!