This healthy herbal spin on classic hot chocolate is dark and rich and decadent. Especially with roasted dandelion root, a pinch of hot cayenne powder, a cinnamon swizzle stick, and a dollop of homemade vanilla bean whipped cream swirled on top. Ooooh! I feel all cozy just thinking about it. You can adjust the spicy heat to your liking by adding more or less cayenne. A little goes a long way in this recipe. Enjoy this wonderful treat and keep warm out there!
Hot Dandelion Cocoa & Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream
Dandelion Hot Cocoa Recipe
- 3 Tbsp. organic roasted dandelion root
- 2 Tbsp. organic cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup organic half & half, whole milk, or milk alternative of your choice
- 1/2 tsp. organic vanilla extract
- Pinch of organic cayenne powder
- 1 organic cinnamon stick
- Raw, local honey (to taste)
- In a pot, bring 3 cups of cold water, roasted dandelion root, and cacao nibs to a simmer and gently decoct (simmer) for 30 minutes.
- Strain out the herbs and return the liquid to your pot.
- Pour in the milk, vanilla extract, and cayenne powder.
- Add one spoonful of honey at a time and dissolve over very low heat until you reach desired sweetness. Stir until combined and serve in your favorite cup.
- Top with a dollop of Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream (see recipe below) and add a cinnamon stick for stirring!
Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream Recipe
- 1 cup organic heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp. organic sugar
- 1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
- Pulp from one half of a split and scraped organic vanilla bean
- Add all ingredients to a quart sized mason jar and tightly screw on the lid.
- Shake the jar for several minutes until the liquid stops sloshing.
- Open periodically to check for a fluffy consistency.
- Be careful not to over shake, or you’ll have a jar full of sweet vanilla butter instead!
Want Another Herbal Twist on Hot Cocoa?
You might also enjoy: