When embarking on an adventure, whether backpacking through the back-country or taking off on a long flight or road trip, nothing helps keep your spirits and energy up like the right snacks—and few things will knock you out of sorts more quickly than the wrong ones! Unfortunately, with all the other bustle of preparing for your adventure, nutrition is often left to the last minute, forcing us to opt for items that aren’t great for our health, our wallet, or the environment. However, with just a bit of planning, you can bring along delicious and nutritious goodies that will power you up instead of slowing you down.
So, what sorts of snacks are both travel-friendly and nutritious? Many of the to-go go-tos that come to mind, such as energy bars, power gels, and yogurts or puddings, are excellent choices in theory, but the conventional versions often come with artificial additives and excess sugar (not to mention the non-recyclable packaging) that make them less appealing to a health-conscious traveler. Granola is another prime example of such snacks, but it’s super simple to create a version packed with organic goodness and flavor without an insane amount of sweetener.
Spicy, salty, crunchy, and lightly sweet, this granola recipe also tics all your top nutrition boxes. It layers the protein and healthy fats of nuts, seeds, and coconut onto the whole-grain energy of whole oats, and then ties it all together with the delicious flavors of a healthful chai tea-inspired spice palette. Cardamom, which shines through nicely in this blend, is considered a balancing tridoshic spice in Ayurveda and has traditionally been used to support healthful digestion (a handy trait for dealing with disruptions that often come with travel). Plus, it’s backpack- and airplane-friendly.
Make a big batch to fuel your next round of summer adventures—it will last for a month if stored in an airtight container, and you can freeze it for later, too!
Coconut, Vanilla & Cardamom Granola Recipe
Makes about 5 cups.
- 2 cups organic whole oats
- 1 cup organic coconut flakes
- 1 cup organic pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup organic whole almonds
- 1/3 cup organic hemp seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. organic cardamom powder
- 1 tsp. organic cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp. organic turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. organic roasted cacao powder
- 1 pinch ground organic black pepper
- 1/3 cup raw, local honey
- 1/4 cup organic fractionated MCT coconut oil or organic virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp. organic maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. organic or homemade vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 275° F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir to mix.
- Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl (melt coconut oil prior to adding) and stir until well-mixed.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix with a spoon or clean hands until evenly coated.
- Spread out mixture in a large pan and bake, stirring every 10 minutes, for 45 minutes or until the coconut flakes begin to toast and turn brown.
- Let cool and transfer to an airtight container to store.
WANT MORE Healthy and portable Snack Recipes?
You may also enjoy:
- Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Salted Chocolate Cookies
- Homemade Energy Gel with Chia and Cordyceps
- Reishi Mushroom Chai Recipe for Immune Support