Baby bath time can be a wonderful bonding experience that offers both parent and child the opportunity to relax and focus on the circle of love between them. Adding gentle, skin-nourishing herbs to baby’s bathwater is a beautiful way to bring not just the soothing comfort of warm hydrotherapy to bath time but can also add scents that your child will come to associate with safety and peace. Organic calendula and chamomile are gentle and skin-nourishing, and when combined with the aromatics of soothing, calming lavender or roses, they make a perfect herbal bath for your precious child.
If you bathe with your child in an adult-size tub, that obviously requires more herbs to get the same effect, but calendula, chamomile, lavender, and roses are just as lovely for adult skin as they are for babies. Together, you get warm hydrotherapy, herbal support, and the skin-on-skin contact that is so soothing and important for infants. Remember, you deserve to be pampered too, and this is the perfect moment.
Herbal Bath for Babies
- Organic chamomile flowers and/or calendula flowers
- Organic lavender flowers, rose petals, or rosebuds
I like equal parts chamomile and calendula with about half as much lavender or rose petals. One small muslin bag, cotton tea net, or tea ball is sufficient for a baby-size tub or the kitchen sink. For an adult bath, use a large muslin bag, tea ball infuser, or tea net, or double up on the small size.
- Fill a muslin bag, tea net, or tea ball infuser with herbs of choice.
- Make sure to tie or seal the bag or infuser well so herbs don’t spill into bath water.
- Put bag or infuser directly into baby’s bath water. Agitate and let infuse for 2-5 minutes before removing.
- Baby can relax in herb-infused bath water for 10-20 minutes, fully supervised, so long as water stays warm and comforting.
- Breaking or crushing large herbal flowers will create more surface area and deliver more herbal goodness to your bath infusion.
- Play around with the proportion of herbs to see what works best for you.
The muslin or cotton tea bag also makes a good washcloth for baby’s delicate skin.
- Cue up some soothing music in the background and create an all-around relaxing sensory experience for bath time.