Something about this time of year always makes me crave the refreshing, invigorating natural flavor and scent of Peppermint. Fortunately for me, there are much healthier options than the ubiquitous candy canes to be found here at Mountain Rose Herbs!
• Peppermint Leaf makes a wonderfully refreshing herbal tea all by itself—just brew and enjoy! Its tummy-soothing properties make it especially helpful after a large, rich holiday meal.
• Peppermint Flavor Extract adds a lively zip of certified organic peppermint flavor to homemade candy, baked goods, beverages, and anything else you can think of (Peppermint hot chocolate, anyone?).
• Peppermint Hydrosol makes a yummy-smelling, natural and organic body or room spray, and can also be incorporated into body care or food recipes.
• Peppermint Essential Oil has traditionally been used for a wide range of complaints from nausea to headaches to colds to skin issues. It’s also a popular ingredient in many natural body care products.
• Organic Peppermint Soap from Oregon Soap Company brings the lively scent of peppermint into the bath or shower, and features peppermint essential oil AND dried leaf.
• Grow your own peppermint with Peppermint Seeds from Horizon Herbs.
Here’s one of our favorite lip balm recipes featuring Peppermint essential oil. The luscious oils and cocoa butter will keep your lips soft and protected.
Peppermint Cocoa Lip Balm
(This recipe will fill 8-9 lip balm tubes)
1 Tablespoon Cocoa Butter
2 Tablespoons Sweet Almond Oil
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon & 1 teaspoon Beeswax
5-10 drops Peppermint essential oil
Coarsely chop or grate beeswax (vegans may use Carnauba or Candelilla Wax as an alternative). Place wax, butter, and oil in a double boiler, and melt gently over low-medium heat. Once that the beeswax/oil mixture has melted, remove from burner, and add essential oils. Immediately pour the mixture into lip balm containers. Allow to cool completely before placing the caps onto your lip balm containers.