This blog was originally published in 2013. Because it's so popular, we decided to update it for you. Enjoy!
If you love the aroma of toasty sesame seeds and the oceanic saltiness of seaweed, you might soon find this seasoning blend gracing your dinner table nightly. With just a flick of the wrist, this delicious combination of flavors adds a nutritive boost and subtle richness to just about any savory recipe you're making.
Plus, it can be a wonderful substitute for plain table salt, or customized with other herbs and spices to make it either more medicinal or more flavorful.
What is Gomasio?
Gomasio or "gomashio" is a seasoning blend commonly sprinkled on simple rice dishes in Japan. The word means "salt and pepper," as in someone who is handsomely graying, but also for the traditional combination of black sesame seeds and white sea salt.
In this re-imagined recipe, we've used toasted white sesame seeds along with hemp seeds, milk thistle seeds, and a touch of mineral dense Himalayan pink salt, but there are so many other possibilities to explore. We'd love to hear if you create a combination that is particularly delicious!
Homemade Herbal Gomasio Recipe
- 1 cup organic sesame seeds, raw or quickly dry toasted in a pan
- ½ cup dulse flakes
- 1 tbsp Himalayan pink salt
- hemp seeds
- milk thistle seeds
- dried nettle leaf
- garlic granules
- fennel seed
- dandelion leaf
- flax seeds
- chili flakes
- caraway seeds
- cumin seeds
- dried oregano
- dried holy basil
*You can use any other tasty herb or spice you can grind! Feel free to experiment with your favorite flavors or nutritive combinations.
- Dry toast the sesame seeds by gently warming them in a pan over medium heat, tossing or stirring constantly.
- When the oil begins to release and the seeds start to turn golden, remove the seeds from heat and place in a bowl to cool. Be very careful not to let them burn!
- Next, toss all ingredients together until well mixed.
- Grind in a suribachi, food processor, or one of our glass vase grinders shown above.
Use in place of table salt to season any dish. Especially tasty with rice, salad, sandwiches, wraps, pizza, popcorn, soup, and veggies. Enjoy!
love making your own seasoning blends?