While this recipe won't color your lips like traditional lipstick, it will provide a silky shine with a natural pink to red hue that will make your lips look and feel fantastic. I used organic geranium essential oil in this recipe to impart a lovely rose-like scent. However, if floral isn't really your thing I recommend trying peppermint, sweet orange, or lavender essential oils.
DIY Tinted Lip Gloss
Yields 12 lip balm tubes.
- 1 Tbsp. organic beet root powder
- 3 Tbsp. organic macadamia nut oil
- 1 Tbsp. organic cocoa butter or 3 organic cocoa butter wafers
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. grated beeswax or beeswax pastilles
- 12 drops organic geranium essential oil
- A few drops of non-GMO vitamin E oil (optional)
- Combine beet root powder, cocoa butter, beeswax, and macadamia nut oil in double boiler, heat lightly, and stir until melted together.
- Remove from heat and stir in essential oil and vitamin E oil.
- Immediately pour the mixture into lip balm tubes or clear glass jars.
- Allow to cool before capping.
- Rubber-banding lip balm tubes together is a great way to keep them steady.
- Pouring too quickly will cause air pockets to form in lip balm tubes, so take your time.
- If your tubes develop air pockets, wave a hair dryer or heat gun around the pocket to melt the lip balm and fill the pocket. Be sure to keep your heat source moving—you don’t want to melt the tube.
Looking for more DIY lip balm recipes?
You may also be interested in: