When I lived in Culver City, California, I had a free membership to a lovely little yoga studio. The front room of the studio was filled with the most incredible handmade, earth-conscious products (much like the ones we offer here at Mountain Rose Herbs), including a wonderful bottle of natural yoga mat cleaner that I fell in love with.
That bottle of organic witch hazel mixed with organic essential oils worked incredibly well. Freshening up my mat post workout with this spritz of aromatherapy became part of my practice. Unrolling my mat and inhaling the fresh scent brought me back to where I was when I left the studio—a moment of peace, clarity, and joy.
Little did I know at the time, but a yoga mat spray like this is effortless to make. A bit of research and following my nose quickly led to my very own personalized yoga mat spray recipe! While you should exercise caution when working with essential oils, especially when applying them to surfaces, you can easily make a spray that brightens your yoga mat after your daily practice.
- 8 oz. organic witch hazel extract
- About 4 oz. organic thyme leaf (enough to fill half the jar)
- 6 drops organic clary sage essential oil
- 6 drops organic grapefruit essential oil
- 12 drops organic geranium essential oil
- Mason jar or pantry jar (7-8 oz.)
- Cheesecloth or mesh strainer
- 4 oz. spray bottle
- Fill clean, dry glass jar half way with dried thyme leaf.
- Fill the rest of the jar with witch hazel extract. Be sure it covers the herb.
- Infuse for 2-3 days, shaking 1-2 times a day.
- Strain thyme infusion with cheesecloth or mesh strainer and pour liquid into bottle.
- Add essential oils.
- Shake well before each use. Apply liberally to your yoga mat and enjoy the fresh aroma!
Curious about Making Aromatic Sprays?