We've all witnessed the deodorant revolution over the past few years. From chemical-infused sticks to ruin-your-blouse white stuff, finding a healthy and practical alternative can be a challenge. I've tried them all and even gone without for many years.
Most of the time I don't need it, but occasionally I like to go on multiple day hiking trips or enjoy the local music scene in intimate, warm venues. So I experimented to create a formula that works perfectly for my needs. This isn't the normal wipe-it-on deodorant! The ingredients in this recipe, such as the cocoa butter and shea butter, will melt easily with body temperature while maintaining a solid form in the tin throughout the day. I push a little pea-sized chunk off with my finger and rub it into my underarm just like I would body lotion. An alternative is to reuse an old store-bought deodorant container, allowing for a less messy applicantion.
Once you see how easy it is to make, you might just go a little wild like me, mixing in your favorite essential oils for a personalized scent treat!
All-Natural Homemade Deodorant Recipe
Makes two 2 oz. tins
- ½ Tbsp baking soda
- 1/8 cup organic arrowroot powder
- 1/8 cup organic cocoa butter
- 1/8 cup organic, refined shea butter
- 5 drops Vitamin E oil
- 2 tsp beeswax (helps distribute powders)
- 25-40 drops organic essential oils (I like grapefruit, fir needle, nutmeg, and/or lavender)
- In a glass bowl, combine cocoa butter and shea butter.
- Heat a double boiler over medium-low until butters are melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in arrowroot powder and baking soda.
- Stir in Vitamin E oil and your desired essential oil blend.
- Carefully pour into 2 oz. tins, filling to the top, but making sure not to spill over.
- Place lids on containers without pressing down to lock. Just let them sort of sit on top to help prevent dust from settling in your deodorant while it sets.
- Allow to completely cool and solidify, which can take 6+ hours. I usually let them sit overnight.
- Enjoy! And remember, deodorant works best if applied before you're active!