No matter how fulfilling or joyful our lives are, experiencing sadness and grief is a natural part of our being. When we have the blues, it shows us that we care enough about something to give it our energy. Experiencing this also exercises our ability to navigate through the full range of feelings that we are lucky to possess as humans. As a wise woman once told me, “Not everything is rainbows and unicorns all the time.” At first sound, the statement sounded cynical but the more I pondered it, the more I realized that I was wrong. What it really means is that sometimes it’s okay for things not to be okay. And while the blues can be unpleasant, there are ways to naturally work through them.
In addition to my ceremonial practice of drinking tea, one of my favorite ways to feel my way through difficult emotions is by utilizing aromatherapy. I created an aromatic blend that really helped me break through a cycle of sadness. Sweet and vibrant citrus creates a delightful uplifting top note, as the soothing honey-apple aroma of chamomile and the gentle spice of earthy nutmeg create balance, warmth, and harmony.
It’s a gift to be able to offer this blend to friends who are going through a challenging time, and I’ve also found it helpful to have some on hand when I need uplifting. Although this spray takes just minutes to make, I find it helpful to make in anticipation of life’s moments so that I have it when I lack the energy or motivation to craft.
Remember that this aroma spray is not meant to brush emotions away. It was created to naturally and effectively support us through cycles of grief or stress so that we can move towards being the brightest and highest forms of ourselves.
Aromatherapy Spray for Grief
Makes about 1 ounce.
- 5 drops organic sweet orange essential oil
- 3 drops organic petitgrain essential oil
- 2 drops organic roman chamomile essential oil
- 2 drops organic nutmeg essential oil
- 1 oz. organic witch hazel extract, hydrosol of your choice, or vodka
- Drip the essential oils into a 1 ounce glass bottle with a mister and mix by rolling the bottle between the palms of your hands.
- Top off the bottle with witch hazel extract, hydrosol, or vodka.
- Shake well.
- Spray in the air or on the body as needed.
Looking for a Tea Blend to Sooth and Comfort?
You may also enjoy:
- Best Essential Oils for Stress Management
- Herbal Elixir for Stress Relief
- Understanding Nervines and Adaptogens