As someone who has needed to navigate the world of challenging and limited diets, I often depend on bitters to encourage the healthy digestion my body so regularly denies me. When I "oops" on something that doesn’t settle well with my tummy, I reach for one of my favorite bitters. If there isn’t a bottle of Urban Moonshine’s Original formula around, I make my own!
When making a bitter, I think of it in three parts; bitter, aromatic, and citrus. While generally all of the ingredients will have a bitter quality to them, this model helps me craft an enjoyable bitter sans extra sweeteners.
Bitters Ingredient Breakdown
Organic bitter herbs:
Organic aromatic herbs:
I always start with one choice from each category. Once you have a nice bitter foundation you can easily determine what might complement the flavors. Complicated bitters don’t always mean a more effective recipe. Simple is my go-to.
Artichoke Bitters Recipe
- 1 Tbsp organic artichoke leaf
- 1 Tbsp organic orange peel
- 1 Tbsp organic cardamom pods
- 1 bottle 80 proof vodka
- Place each herb or citrus in their own small glass bottle with cork top or mason jar.
- Cover each herb with vodka (roughly 4 oz)
- Cork the top and let it sit for 3 days to 2 weeks, shaking gently once a day. You’ll be surprised with how quickly the flavors start to take over! Let sit until it’s as strong a flavor as you like.
- Strain herbs using our stainless steel funnel with strainer and combine equal parts of each extract into a ½ oz amber glass bottle with dropper top.
A couple drips of bitter aromatics too much for you? Try a bitters soda!
- 8 oz carbonated water/club soda on the rocks
- 1-2 squirts of Artichoke Leaf Bitters