We all know that many conventional cleaning products contain harsh chemicals that can be harmful to both our bodies and the planet (not to mention the budget-busting expense and all the waste produced by those empty plastic bottles and extra packaging!). We’ve been creating our own cleaning formulas for years, and we love how easy and inexpensive they are to whip up.
Great to have on hand year-round, these homemade cleansers can easily and naturally replace that questionable collection of store-bought formulas in your cupboard. With just a few basic ingredients like vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, and essential oils, you'll be on your way to (really!) cleaning up your act —while reducing waste and saving money!
DIY Kitchen & Bathroom Spray
- 8 oz. distilled white vinegar
- 6 oz. distilled water
- 2 oz. vodka or rubbing alcohol
- 10 drops organic lavender essential oil
- 5 drops organic rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops organic lemon essential oil
- Combine all ingredients in 16 oz. spray bottle and shake well before each use.
- Use this aromatic solution for kitchen counters, cabinets, refrigerator shelves, glass, blinds, tile, sinks, tubs, and fan blades.
Homemade Soft Scrub Cleaner
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup Castille soap
- 15 drops organic rosemary or organic tea tree essential oil
- 1 tsp. organic vegetable glycerin or Non-GMO Project Verified aloe vera gel (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in glass pint-sized jar until reaching paste-like consistency.
- Add vegetable glycerin or aloe vera gel if desired to keep blend moist.
- Use to scrub tubs, sinks, and tile surfaces.
- Rinse away with water or a vinegar solution.
Soap Residue Removal Spray
- 14 oz. water or organic rosemary hydrosol
- 3 Tbsp. Castille soap
- 15 drops organic tea tree essential oil
- 15 drops organic oregano essential oil
- Mix all ingredients in 16 oz. spray bottle.
- Use this spray to clean bathroom surfaces.
Homemade Room & Fabric Freshener Spray
- 3 oz. unflavored vodka
- 15 drops organic lavender, ylang ylang, sweet orange, or your favorite essential oil
- 12 oz. organic hydrosol of your choice
- Mix all ingredients in 16 oz. spray bottle and shake well before each use.
- Spray to refresh your room, mattress, pillows, bed linens, couches, and fabric-covered chairs, or to clean winter blankets before storing for the year.
Natural Lemon Oil Furniture Polish
- 1 cup organic olive oil
- 25 drops organic lemon essential oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- Mix together in 16 oz. spray bottle and shake well before each use.
- Spray onto soft rag or directly onto wood furniture to clean and condition.
- Buff surface dry immediately.
Tropical Carpet Deodorizer Recipe
- 1 cup baking soda
- 10 drops organic lemongrass essential oil
- 10 drops organic mandarin essential oil
- 10 drops organic ginger essential oil
- 1/4 cup organic lavender flowers
- Mix together in bowl and transfer to powder containers.
- Sprinkle blend onto carpet.
- Allow to sit at least 30 minutes, then vacuum as normal. Makes a wonderful mattress deodorizer, too!
Natural Wood Floor Cleaning Formula
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp organic vegetable glycerin
- 20 drops organic lemon essential oil
- Combine all ingredients in 16 oz. spray bottle and fill remainder of bottle with distilled water.
- Gently shake to combine.
- Spray, mop as usual, and quickly buff dry to protect floors (and leave a lovely lemon scent!).
Natural Multi-Surface Floor Cleaner
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1/4 cup Castille soap
- 20 drops organic lavender essential oil
- 20 drops organic sweet orange essential oil
- Mix the ingredients with 2 gallons of hot water in a bucket to mop away dirt and grime on tile, vinyl, or linoleum floors.
- For wood floors, leave out the Castille soap and wipe spots clean by hand.
Essential Oils for Cleaning
Interested in More Green Living Recipes?
You may also be interested in:
- Create Your Own Yoga Mat Spray
- 5 Ways to Green Clean with Lemon Essential Oil
- DIY Toilet Cleaner Bombs