As we slowly come out of winter to welcome spring, our skin has been exposed to a long, harsh season of blustery cold. My lips feel dryand neglected from dodging rain and chilly air, bouncing from cold and damp to warm and dry. My delicate lip skin, if not properly protected and moisturized throughout the season, always starts to peel. Trying to rub away the dry skin can feel gratifying and helpful, but quickly results in cracked lips when a little TLC is really what's needed.
What is a lip scrub for?
Lip scrubs are great for exfoliating the dry, excess, weathered, skin on your lips, while moisturizing them (thanks to pure botanical oils and butter). Such a sweet treat for your skin, your lips will be happy all spring. And this easy-to-make recipe is gentle and leaves your kisser feeling smooth and soft.
NOTE: I love citrus, so this DIY lip scrub recipe uses just a little bit of lime peel essential oil. Because citrus essential oils can cause photosensitization in some folks, you shouldn't use more than the recipe calls for below. If you are already sensitive to citrus oils, I recommend using peppermint or lavender essential oil instead.
Sweet Lime Lip Scrub Recipe Recipe
- 1 Tbsp organic Shea Butter
- 1 Tbsp organic Apricot Kernel Oil
- 4 Tbsp organic sugar
- 12 drops organic Lime Peel Essential Oil
- 1 drop of Non-GMO Vitamin E Oil
- 4 x 1/2 oz plastic containers or 2 x 1 oz glass containers
- Using blender or food processor, grind sugar until the granules are fine, but not as fine as powdered sugar. You want a little texture to remain for the exfoliation process.
- Next, pour apricot kernel oil and essential oil into bowl
- Add the sugar and butter.
- Mix together with fork or spoon until you have a well-combined paste consistency.
- Scoop into desired containers.
How to use the lip scrub:
Dab a small amount of the finished scrub on your index finger and gently rub in a circular motion on the lips. Allow to sit for a few minutes and rinse off with warm water or wipe off with a warm wash cloth. Pat dry and apply your favorite homemade lip balm or naturally tinted lip gloss. Enjoy!
Looking for More sweet diy body care Recipes? try our: